Wednesday, June 04, 2008

R.I.P. Mitch Mullany, 1968-2008

I met Mitch the first time he came to an open mike at the Punchline in San Francisco. I was standing just inside the door with some other comics and he asked, “Where do you sign up?” We all turned towards him. He was young, good looking and probably funny. I said, “None of your business.”

I once bought a used car from Mitch. It was used by Mitch to get $200 from me. $200 you say? It must have been a good car. It was. I believe it was a Ford Fairmont. It was white with a peeling black vinyl top. That’s “a peeling” not “appealing.”

It was the type of car where I had to drive around with a gallon of water just in case the engine caught on fire, which it frequently did. One time I was doing a set at the Holy City Zoo and the engine caught on fire and I didn’t have any water in the car. Luckily, the fire didn’t start until I was just outside the club. I was able to fill up my empty jug at the bar and the Ford carried on. Sadly, it stopped once in Daly City and never started again.

I think the last time I saw Mitch, I was dropping off my picture at a casting agent’s office for a movie he wrote and he happened to be in the office. He saw me and he said, “Hey, Jim.”

I said, “Hey, Mitch.”

And he said, “Hey, you know this isn’t just stand-up, this is acting.”

And I said, “Fuck You.”

I didn’t get called in.

Mitch was a funny guy and will be missed.

No comments: