Friday, April 20, 2012

"Comedy Nation This Week" - April 20, 2012

Here's today's podcast with panelists Laurie Buckley, Dave Plunkett, James Tripp and host Bill Bronner:

Panelists discuss the War On Women, Citibank, Argentina's natinalization of YPF and more,

Trippitorial - Words

I don’t trust words or the people who use them. Nobody ever lied to me before I could speak. I should never have listened.

When you’re a baby, you can get a lot more by crying than by using complete sentences. Of course, it’s a simpler world with simpler wants. You either want to eat or evacuate what you’ve eaten. And only the first part requires any real effort. But once you learn how to speak, instead of people just giving you things, people start wanting things from you.

Once you learn a language, it’s hard to feign ignorance, unless you’re in Congress. The only reason my parents taught me to speak was so they could say, “eat your broccoli!” And I’d know what they mean. Before I had a facility with words, a perfectly acceptable answer was “Ba ba ba.” But as soon as you use words like, “I don’t like broccoli,” it sets up a confrontation, especially if you say it like that. I blame words.

Before I could speak, a simple facial expression could communicate, “Do I look like I like broccoli?” Of course, the same expression could indicate a buildup of gas, which broccoli can exasperate. That’s still no reason to use words. Why do you think that swear words are always the first words that kids want to learn in a new language? Because that’s what words do to you. The first thing you want to learn how to say is, “Fuck!”

Parents teach you how to speak to try to convince you that their view of reality is the correct one. People who already speak have stopped listening to them so they’ll talk to you until you stop listening, which will probably be sometime soon after you understand what they’re saying.

Once they have you listening, it isn’t long before they have you believing in Santa Claus and God and that the United States is a democracy. Do you really think you’d believe in Santa Claus if they didn’t use words to lie to you? It’s not like you’d be walking down the street one day and suddenly think, “Hey, I’ll bet there’s some fat, old guy in a red suit who’s going to climb down my chimney in the dead of a cold, dark winter’s night. Maybe I should call the police.”

Words. Who needs them? Next time you think, don’t use words. How would you think if you didn’t use words? How would you communicate? Maybe we’d develop telepathic powers if people would just shut up. Nobody would have to talk. Everybody would know what everyone else was thinking--- not much.

No comments: